Monday, December 3, 2012

Julie and Julia:: Melissa and Ree Drummond

I’m a wife, so I cook dinner. Wait, let me rephrase that. I’m a wife and I attempt to cook dinner. I knew I should’ve paid attention when my mom dragged me into the kitchen when I was younger. But at the time, I was more interested in my social life and the relationship status of Cory and Topanga than slaving away in the kitchen. Biggest regret of my life!

Thank goodness my mother-in-law bought me a crockpot as a bridal shower gift. I’ve attempted to cook chicken on the stove twice and I’ve ended up with overcooked, rubbery chicken, so I’ve given up and I do all my meat cookin’ in the crockpot. Now not only have my skills, or lack thereof, limited me to the slow cooker, but I have a very boring imagination. I make the same 4 meals each week. Monday: chicken enchiladas with green sauce, Tuesday: beef enchiladas with red sauce, Wednesday: shredded buffalo chicken sandwiches, Thursday: shredded chicken ceasar sandwiches, Friday- Sunday: we go out to eat(my favorite days of the week). For the days that I forget to throw stuff in the slow cooker, mac n cheese and hot dogs is my go to meal.

Luckily Brian doesn’t have very high expectations.

I’ve only been a wife for a little over a month, so I know I’m not expected to be Giada or Rachel Ray, but I need to add some variety and some veggies for goodness sake. I’m currently obsessed with The Pioneer Woman and her blog http://thepioneerwoman.com/. Not only is she talented in the kitchen, but she is flippin’ hilarious! If I can master her recipes, I will die a happy woman.

So that’s my goal. Once a week, (I don’t want to be too ambitious) I’m going to pick one the recipes from her blog and do my best at recreating it.

Don’t you fret, I’ll definitely document what I’m sure will result in a horrendously messy kitchen (which I’ll make Brian clean up) and meal that hopefully tastes good, even if it looks a hot mess.

Here’s to a new cooking adventure!



Oh and for anyone who wants to buy me a Christmas present (hint hint, Mom), I have something else to add to the list:



2 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to read all about it! Welcome to the blogging world too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! A couple friends and I are planning on blogging our way through her book as well. Only we are going to try to make things a little healthier, we shall see. LOVE her!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.