Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013, The Year I Realized I’ve Become My Mother


Growing up, I was my father’s daughter. My 5th grade picture looks freakishly like my dad's 5th grade picture. We are both social and outgoing. We like roller coasters and sour candy. We both have droopy eyes and identical thumbs. I’ve always been like my dad and thought I always would be. Then I got married.

I don’t know if things changed because I now have someone to cook dinner for and we have a house that I can decorate or if it’s just because I’m growing up and dare I say it, maturing. But over the past year, I’ve become more and more like my mother.

I quite frequently have astonishingly trivial facts or stories to tell.

I say funny phrases like, ‘sheesh oh Tuesday’.

I stress about the perfect presentation of a meal or dish.

I bake when I’m dieting.

I craft and DIY, sometimes with the help from my mom via Facetime.

I hate planning dinners.

Sometimes when I'm talking to my husband, I realize I sound just like my mom when she talks to my dad.

Now, you might be thinking that none of those are necessarily bad qualities and I agree. But had you told me 5 years ago that I would possess those qualities, I would never have believed you.
My mother has always been my #1 fan and I wouldn't be the person I am today without her. All of those 'astonishingly trivial' facts she told me over the years stuck. I listened when she spoke, although I rarely acted like it and I admire her. I always have, but she and I are so different. Our styles and personalities... It
never occurred to me that I'd end up just like her. And as shocking as it may seem to both of us, I couldn't be more proud.

2013 has been a year of realizations. I am my mother's daughter.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.